Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Artist Spotlight: I.V.

Wes “I.V.” Scott pays homage to his roots through his raspy tracks and dialect on his latest release “Album Practice” a mixtape hosted by DJ Young Breezye and DJ Prez that has been gaining a buzz in the South. Taking on dual duties as both rapper and producer I.V. is poised that it’s his turn in the industry. He started working with music when he was about 14. Started rapping first, then took a break from it for a long time to engineer studio sessions and produce tracks for others. He never gave up writing because it fueled his passion and was a release from the everyday struggles of the world. When asked what are the advantages of being both the rapper and producer, I.V. stated, “it gives me total artistic control doing both, and it puts me on my own timeline for music creation. I can produce a track, save it, and come back to it whenever I want. Lately, I’ve just been producing the tracks as I write the song.”


New Age asked I.V. what his outlook on mixtapes were he claimed, “It’s a love/hate thing, I love the avenue because of the exposure. It has helped me and a few other artists I work with closely to get the brand of music we produce out there. It has also hipped me to artists I wouldn't have heard otherwise, that put out quality music consistently. I hate it in the fact that some people just put out stuff without even considering the quality of music on the tapes versus the number of tapes they drop.” I.V. stays hungry by recording and producing tracks every day in his home studio. The ability for artist to record and produce their own music has changed the way we listen and discover new music. The industry is so accustomed to the standard that when artist like I.V. come along creating a new avenue the executives at labels don’t have the solution which can mangle the A&R formula. When asked what type of success he was looking for in the industry he claimed, both the indie and mainstream scene has pros and cons. “I believe the indie scene would provide the freedom of creativity I enjoy, but the mainstream would allow wider exposure. I wish I could combine the two and get the mainstream budgets with indie creative freedom.”

Some of IV biggest music influences can be attributed to his environment, growing up in Memphis, TN. I.V. was exposed to everything from blues to UGK and 8 ball and MJG. “They really showed me that I can keep my southern identity and do music that’s true to myself.” He credits Nas, Talib Kweli, Mos Def and Black Thought for their lyrical ability and simply describes his style of music as what “feels right”. “I like creating music that people will sit down and listen to, or just drive and vibe to. I'm all about track selection and lyrical content. I just like making great quality songs.” The future is looking bright for I.V. who is partners with fellow rapper MT the Great, “We have some things in the works on the indie front that really will be DOPE in every sense of the word.”

You can hear more music from I.V. >>>> http://omg.ly/8LGk

Download the “Album Practice” mixtape for free today!
Follow I.V. @ www.twitter.com/ivonthetrack

No comments:

Post a Comment